Saturday, January 18, 2014

19

The first week of break was filled with both exhilarating exploration of Shanghai and some much needed relaxation. 

My host sister still had to go to classes, so we stayed at our apartment by the metro station, making galavants around the city very convenient. 

Sunday I went with my NSLI-Y chums to the Science and Technology Museum. There were rad exhibits about space, 3D printing, human health, ecology, and more! I particularly enjoyed the Chinese IMAX feature we went to called "Wired to Win: Surviving le Tour de France" which explored the neurology of cyclist competitors in persevering through phenomenal physical challenges. There were also overwhelmingly sublime shots of French landscapes that made me miss the mountains back home so much. 



After exploring the museum, my friend Maike and I decided to get the traditional Chinese medicine cupping (拔火罐 ba huo guan) treatment. It was great for our stressed muscles and I was happy because I got to start some of my research for next semester's project. I have actually made a lot of headway on prepping for that this week! 


On Monday I recorded my singing voice for our Nanjing project. We'll be teaching fun songs to the children at the disabled home in Nanjing and are making a CD that we can leave for the home after we leave. Maike and I recorded "Wheels on the Bus" and "If You're Happy and You Know it", which along with others' voices will actually be mixed by my RD's big-shot music producer JFish (who apparently has mixed for Kanye West and the like) so I have high expectations. Haha. 

After recording, I went with Tilden and Maike back to the postcard palace / café for a while where we drank Thai tea, chatted and wrote our hearts out. 

Tuesday I met up with Heather, a friend from the States who used to manage the B-line restaurant in Tucson but who now manages a restaurant company in China, splitting her time between Shanghai and Hong Kong. 

We had lunch at the delicious Sichuan Citizen restaurant in the French Concession neighborhood. It was great to catch up with Heather and explore that part of the French Concession a bit  (not to mention the food was so good! Yay for spice!) 

I took a few days to relax a bit, but on Saturday I went with Tilden to a yoga class and went café hopping in the French Concession. 


We also went to the iconic center of Shanghai: People's Square, where we found out that the museum of contemporary art is exhibiting Yayoi Kusama (an amazing Japanese artist who I adore)! The line to get into the exhibit literally wound around the entire park, so although we decided to come back before it ends in March, it was so exciting. 


We also found ourself in the middle of the infamous "Singles' Market", where hopeful parents come to find spouses for their unmarried children. It was definitely a disconcerting sight. 

All in all a great day of city exploration though! 

And we leave for our trip to Nanjing tomorrow morning bright and early. So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment