Saturday, March 8, 2014

26


This week, our comprehensive Chinese teacher (孙老师: Sun lao shi) gave us the task of asking people who worked at the school (guards, cafeteria aunties/ayis, cleaning ladies, etc) how they saw Shanghai ("你的眼中的上海怎么样?"). It was a fun task and although lots of people were too embarrassed to be filmed (as my teacher requested), I made a lot of friends and I even got to go behind the scenes in the cafeteria to record ayis chopping food!

In our Monday art class, we carved seals with our own traditional character names in them (see my stamp below). Carving them was a lot harder than I expected, but I really enjoyed it (much more than calligraphy, which for some reason frustrates me to no end, that and doing origami, although my Japanese friends have showed me some of the true beauty in both of those arts. I still prefer to watch them do it though). 


Monday afternoon, I went with my American classmates to sign up for the AP Chinese Language and Culture test, which we'll be taking in May.
Our international boys also competed their first game of the school soccer tournament Monday afternoon. Everyone played excellently and we won 4 to 0.


Da Shan, Aya, Yasu, Fernando, Reo, Koki, Yas, Luca, and Aki
Tuesday, we started working on our musical: my group (Saori, Maike, Sara, Maki, Tilden, Eriko, and Megan) are doing a version of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" Chinese Opera style with Kung fu, singing and dancing where the wolves and sheep end up colluding to battle and slay the shepherd in the end. The other group is doing "The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" Chinese Opera style. It should be interesting.

Tuesday, we also had a quiz-style competition in our comprehensive Chinese class concerning knowledge of China. I tied with Keiondre for second place (Paris got first), and I got this snazzy wallet as a prize! 


On Tuesday afternoon, we started work on a "host family experience guidebook" on which the State Department will be putting their seal and which will be used for future exchange students, host families and gathering funds from Capitol Hill for more of these kind of programs. Apparently it's a really big deal, and we all feel lucky to be the chosen group to make it! 

In our Wednesday PE class, we started learning Taiqi (太极拳 Tai ji quan). I'm not a super patient person, but I've been working hard on my mindfulness practice while in China and it looks like it's paid off because I had a blast! Apparently we'll be getting fans soon to incorporate into the movements, which will be sweet! 

On Wednesday I also had lunch with my language partner from last semester (Yichen). I interviewed her for my research project and she told me about some school rivalries (she is my go-to girl for school gossip, not that I ever seek it out haha). We also talked about our vacations and plans for this semester, including the club she is starting to raise awareness about endangered animals. It was nice catching up and I look forward to continuing our weekly lunches for the rest of the semester! 

Our outlines for our second semester research projects were due Friday. In excited to continue delving into Traditional Chinese Medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment