Saturday, May 3, 2014

34

This week was a short week for Chinese Labor Day! We had Thursday and Friday off, but had to come back Saturday night for night-study and attend school on Sunday.

Monday was Sara's birthday! We treated her to a foot massage (I got gua sha / Chinese medicinal scraping) 


and then we went to dinner at our favorite Xin Jiang noodle place. It was great! 

This week our comprehensive Chinese lessons were all about women's social position in China. It is a fascinating topic and an exciting way to test and expand our Chinese capabilities. 

On Tuesday we had a debate on the pros/cons of stay-at-home moms (全职太太) and it was interesting that even in this day and age, all the boys in our class were on the "pro" side and all the girls were on the "con" side... We also had to interview a teacher about their views; I interviewed our "dorm dad" Huo Lao Shi, who seemed to be for it except that it wasn't economically sound (his wife is also a teacher and thus they don't make a ton of money). 

Wednesday we discussed gender/beauty ideals in China and compared them with different cultures. When it comes to some things, there are many similar points (faces for example) but definitely not with everything (body shape for example) 

My host sister Xin was in Hong Kong this break in order to take the SAT (they don't administer it in Mainland China), but we had a good time on Wednesday night before she left! 

On Thursday, I went with Tilden to Tian Zi Fang to explore and do some shopping for souvenirs/gifts (we want to be proactive so as not to feel stressed and scramble the last week we are here). 


(Candies shaped like grapefruit and passionfruit at the awesome candy lab where you can watch them make the candy at Tian Zi Fang) 

(Beautiful construction across the street from Tian Zi Fang) 


Thursday night I also practiced my research project presentation with my host mom as part of NSLI-Y requirements. I am about done with the presentation (which we will give late May), but just need to practice, practice practice (practice makes perfect: shu neng sheng qiao 熟能生巧) in order to make it smooth and streamlined. 

Friday I went with my host mom and host brother to an amusement park! It was great to get to spend time with my host brother Bi Hao (who I never really see) and get to know my new host mom better (she is really one of the sweetest coolest people I've met here)!


(My host brother refuses to be photographed) 

There was an awesome roller coaster where the seats were shaped so it was like you are riding a motorcycle along the track. There was also a terrific one that basically dropped you vertically backwards! 



It already feels like summer! Everyone's eating ice cream and the Chinese men have started doing their classic exposed stomach move. It feels crazy to be wearing short sleeves and shorts, but as a desert girl, I'm totally loving the return to warmth.

No comments:

Post a Comment