Saturday, May 17, 2014

36

This is one of my last few blog posts! 
I can't believe how fast the time is going. 

On Tuesday, we went for a final visit to the Shanghai consulate and met with Katie, the public affairs FSO (foreign service officer) who we talked with about re-entry and reverse culture shock as well as about internship/career possibilities. 

Over this year, I've actually decided working in the foreign service or political/bureaucratic government in general is not my ideal. I've missed studying science a great deal and would like to meld environmental and botanical sciences with environmental justice and human rights in a more grassroots sort of way. Regardlessly, it was great talking to Katie. She's very young and fun and loves to tell stories. 

On Wednesday, I met with my language partner Yi Chen. I am really so grateful to have such a dedicated and patient friend/tutor! 

Although there is no question that I want to continue my Chinese studies when I return, I'm not sure if college language classes are the way for me to go (the AP will exempt me from college language requirements). I was thinking it would be great to take advantage of some opportunities in San Francisco's Chinatown / working with Chinese immigrants in the city, but I think finding a language partner at Stanford with whom I can frequently chat is something I definitely want to do. 

Thursday at lunch, we got the devastating news from Julia and Chihiro that our favorite "Xin Jiang" (兰州拉面) restaurant was shut down. I don't even know how to express how much we loved this place, except to say that some of us went there twice a day every day for weeks. 

In the afternoon, I was playing my guitar on the grass in our courtyard and Anton came up and told me I was now a "real hippie" and promptly asked if he could borrow my guitar (and wear my green chakra glasses) to sing us some Russian ballads:

I also taught Sara to knit! She's a very concentrated student! 


In the evening I decided with Susanna, Luca, Anton, Tilden, Maike, Megan, Sara, Brady, Erik and Paris to guiltily check out another "xin jiang" noodle place that Maike, Tilden and I had found on one of our nearby explorations. We were all pretty disappointed and sad, because nothing can compare with our beloved original!  

But it's a very "China thing": an entire block of shops being torn down over night with no prior warning. But the fact they can set up an outstandingly delicious noodle shop overnight makes up for the fact that they can raze them in the same amount of time. It's also a good reminder of how temporary everything is. 

HOWEVER!!! Exciting addendum: I went to our original noodle place Saturday to see it for myself and there was actually a sign that said they are just doing construction and will be open again in 10 days (Julia and Chihiro probably missed it because they don't actually read Chinese...and it did look pretty destroyed)! So anyway, it looks like we will be able to enjoy some delicious fried rice and noodles again just before we leave to the States. Yay! 


On Friday afternoon, I actually hung out with a Xin Jiang friend we met at the beginning of the year. She showed us around her dorm and updated us on her life. Because of the recent acts of terror committed in Beijing, etc. by Xin Jiang protesters and the resulting anti-Xin Jiang sentiment, my friend is only allowed to leave the school one day a month for her safety! It's a pretty intense time :( 
But we exchanged weixin (we-chat social network) information and I really do hope to keep in touch with her. I would very much like to visit Xin Jiang (my oft assumed homeland) someday. 

On Friday, I had an awesome time hanging out with my host sister. She showed me some Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert type Chinese Internet programs and also an amazing Chinese recipe website that I cannot wait to use when I get back (www.meishiji.net)! 

On Saturday, I went with Sara to the rock climbing gym one last time. It was a lot of fun, but made me really excited to climb back in the U.S. so very soon! 


Next week will be very busy with finals, the singing competition, a day off and school trip to Suzhou! 


I'll leave you with a picture of Megan, Maike and me outside of our dorm. We took it for the background PowerPoint that will accompany our singing performances in next week's competition: 


No comments:

Post a Comment